Important Nutrition Tips for All Ages
Nutrition tips are useful throughout life. In fact, good nutrition is a habit that if enforced early on, continues to serve people well throughout their lives.
Nutrition tips for children:
Proper nutrition is vital for children as it helps them grow to their full potential. Here are a few nutrition tips for parents.
- Introduce the toddler to a variety of foods early on.
- Children may not take in a fully balanced diet every day of the week. For picky eaters, it is better to ensure that the diet is balanced over the week.
- In early childhood, children do not grow very rapidly. Therefore, they do not need as many calories. By keeping optimal body weight, children can steer away from weight problems later in life.
- A growing child needs almost 1.5 cups of vegetables and 1.5 cups of fruits every day. Make veggies a part of the family routine. If the child watches his parents eating vegetables, chances are he will eat them too.
- Fruit juices are not as good as whole fruits.
- Children require foods rich in protein, including soy milk, eggs, low fat dairy, lean meats, fish, poultry, lentils, legumes, tofu and nuts.
- Plenty of iron rich foods like liver, lean red meat, beans, greens, spinach, broccoli, parsley and dates are vital for proper growth.
- Growing children need approximately 500mg-1,300mg of calcium per day, depending on their age. Calcium is abundant in low fat dairy and eggnog as well as tofu, peas, Brussels sprouts, broccoli and almonds. Calcium fortified foods are available. However, it is best for the body to absorb calcium from natural food sources.
- Children often forget to drink enough water, or they may drink juices or colas. It is vital to ensure that children drink plenty of water.
Nutrition tips for teens
Teen years are a time when children are growing rapidly. They may also be involved in a number of outdoor activities, which in turn leads to elevated calorie expenditure. Some important nutrition tips for teens are given below:
- Bones are developing rapidly, so, 3-4 servings of high calcium foods daily are a must.
- Increased physical activity necessitates more vitamins. Therefore, diet must contain greens and fruits.
- Caffeine and caffeinated drinks dehydrate the body and disturb the water balance of the body.
- It is important to keep sugary, starchy foods at a bare minimum.
- Meals should not be skipped.
- It is good to start the day with a healthy breakfast like a fruit smoothie or a peanut butter sandwich.
- Teens must be trained to read food labels. It is a good idea to involve them in food planning and cooking.
- Teens like to experiment with different kinds of foods.
- Girls in their teens must take in plenty of iron rich foods with sufficient amounts of Vitamin C (as the latter improves iron absorption)
- Teens need 8-10 cups of water everyday
Nutrition for adults
Adults do not require as many calories as teenagers, unless they lead a really active lifestyle. Here are some nutrition tips for adults.
- Choose baked over fried
- Eat small meals 4-6 times a day
- Snack healthy by buying pre-cut carrots or celery sticks. A handful of almonds is better than fries or cola.
- Keep fruits and vegetables handy and in the line of vision
- Low fat dairy is preferable to full fat foods
- Learn more about portion control
- Take in plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, preferably raw but wash them well
- Take in more salads with healthy salad dressing
- Avoid red meat. Choose lean meat instead.
Nutrition tips such as the above ensure optimal health and fitness throughout life.